Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I'm going to be going to an evening led first series class tonight. Tim, my teacher, will be leading the class. This class is one of the few of his that I usually can get to, so it has become something of a priority for me. Hopefully I won't be too stiff. I played a round of golf this morning. I worked last night, so I have today off. Usually, being off all day and going to an evening class results in me being at my least stiff, but walking the golf course definitely stiffens up the hamstrings. I'll have to go slow with the surya namaskaras, the initial postures that we warm up with in ashtanga practice. it's easy to pull something there, I think that's exactly how I strained my left hammie earlier this year.

Before going to golf, I stopped by the dermatologist to check for any lesions. I live in SoCal, where the number one cancer is skin cancer. Plus, I had an aunt who died from melanoma. Despite that background, smart guy that I am, I drive a convertible. So, I try to get screened every once in a while. After the derm doc gave me the all clear on my skin, I asked him about the constant itchiness I have been having on my upper back. He thought it was from dry skin. "Do you shower a lot?" he asked. "No, usually just two or three times a day," I said. "But, I do stay in for 20 or 30 minutes at a stretch." He gave me that smile that doctors sometimes use that says, "You're an idiot, do you know that?"

Well, not to be obsessive or anything, but if I sit here too long, I'm really gonna get stiff and will hate practice, so time to bag it.

No comments: